View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nico57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: SGS3
Carrier: SFR
Post Thanks: 5
Default Re: BES 10 and BES 4.1.7

Well, as far as I know there's NO support for Domino in BES10. Zero. Nada.

I guess BES10 should not be seen as a mobile sync solution, but as a mobile fleet management solution instead.
That's quite not the same BES as we've known to this day.
As I understand it, PIM sync is done by the device itself through ActiveSync, and BES10 will only be used to enforce corporate policies (and add supplementary services I guess).
(I don't even know if it can prevent devices from being registered to the real sync server directly).

IBM has an ActiveSync server solution, Lotus Traveler, and it's available free of charge.
I guess you should have a look in that direction.
Lotus Traveler is much less full-featured than traditional BES, but still has basic terminal management (lock/erase device remotely).
User activates a new device with his iNotes credentials.
Once installed, it's basically a zero-admin solution (unless you choose to require admin validation for new devices).

Our setup is similar to yours, Notes/Domino users with BlackBerry devices and BES 4.1.7 (never moved to BES5/BESX because that's such an ugly beast).
And we've been "testing" Lotus Traveler for 1.5 year.
With solid support for Android (native client or ActiveSync) and iOS (ActiveSync), future support for Windows Phone (currently in beta), and presumably working support for BlackBerry 10, it seems Lotus Traveler will pretty much be our BES successor.

Last edited by Nico57 : 02-26-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo
Offline   Reply With Quote