View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
prasetyadrian
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telkomsel
Post Thanks: 1
Question what's the outlook for z10 and future products?

Please Login to Remove!

Guys,

help me understand this...

I'm loving BB from the moment I got the Curve and signed up for BIS until the moment I have the Torch. And I'm feeling an attraction for the Z10, BUT I'm feeling depressed and on the fence about getting the Z10 due to the various news that have come to light these past several months:

1. BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM) is leaving BIS, which means bye-bye pushmail service--which is the strength of BB in the first place. What I previously understand about BIS and pushmail is we pay for server subscription that pulls messages from our webmail accounts and push them to our handset.

2. Then I read about
Post-BIS BlackBerry Z10 offers superior e-mail functionality | ZDNet
that says pushmail can still work on Z10 due to Microsoft EAS functionality (which, according to that article, becomes the de facto standard for pushmail technology). But without BIS subscription, I wonder how EAS can work? I've been reading about EAS and from what I understand it still requires a server to push the messages.

3. In Dec 2012, Google announced that it's dropping EAS for its free customers in favor of IMAP + CardDAV (paying Google Apps customers are still supported with EAS). One of the articles about that is here
http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devic...ls-eas-support
That's like slitting the wrists of a large number of customers like me whose primary e-mail app is Gmail and have multiple Gmail accounts for different purposes. Though, much of the articles I read didn't mention what the impact of that is for BB, you have to wonder whether or not, after the cutoff, can the Z10 (and future BB handsets) use Gmail again?

4. As you know, BlackBerry has announced to release BBM as a multiplatform app that can run on Android and iOS (my guess, to compete with WhatsApp). But this move is only decreasing BB's appeal. The moment this move is realized, a whole lot of people--who only care about BBM feature--will be ditching their BB for other phones and download BBM onto it.

It seems, to me, that BB's position is weakening due to both external and internal measures.

What do you guys think about BlackBerry's outlook? Should I just forget about getting the Z10? And should we all prepare our goodbyes to BlackBerry altogether?

"Curve" 8320 >> "Javelin" 8900 >> "Curve 3G" 9300 >> "Torch" 9800
Offline   Reply With Quote