View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular
Post Thanks: 0
Default Hands on review: Seidio 8700 Premium Skin Case

Please Login to Remove!

Seidio Premium Skin Case

Hands on review by lgreenberg

April 21, 2006

Price as reviewed: $19.95

Donxxx8217;t you just love it when a company listens to its customers and responds to their needs and wants? Companies like Fortte and Seidio have gained a cult like following because they are willing to go that extra mile by manufacturing products their customers actually ask for.

A few weeks ago David from Seidio asked Blackberry Forums members if theyxxx8217;d be interesting in seeing a skin style case for the 8700. The answer was yes and just a few weeks later the product was launched.

This xxx8220;high-endxxx8221; skin style case is perfect for those of you who prefer to carry their devices caseless but still want some level of protection. It keeps the Blackberry very low profile yet will protect it from scratches and impact.

The premium skin is made from a very high-grade polymer that is extremely strong, durable, tear resistant, and long lasting. It also feels great when gripped. Anti-slip properties of the material give your 8700C more grip on all types of surfaces.

I inserted my 8700 into the skin by first placing it through the top part and then pulling the top part of the skin back and around the 8700.

There were no signs of tearing or stretching from putting the skin on and taking it off multiple times.

After some minor adjustments the 8700 was aligned perfectly. The LED was completely visable and the ear piece was not blocked either. There is also a cut out on the back of the skin for the speaker so do not worry about alerts and ringtones being muffled.

The 8700C remains very useable inside the case. There are cutouts for the power port, headset port, antenna, and speaker. The keyboard is uncovered so you can use it trouble free. The track wheel and escape key do become slightly more difficult in this case but not as hard as when using some of the other leather style cases out there.

I was able to easily slip my 8700 into the skin even with a set of Egrips and The Best Skins Ever installed.

As with some of the other cases out there this skin makes using the RIM desktop stand a little more secure. The anti-skid properties of the skin allow it to lock better into the stand.

I kept the skin in my pocket for a few hours and didnxxx8217;t notice too much lint/dust being attracted to it. This is a common issue with skin style cases though and perhaps my pockets were just dust free today.

This is a great version of a skin case. If youxxx8217;re the type of person who likes their devices to remain as slim as possible than this might be the case for you. If you do invest in this case Ixxx8217;d also highly recommend investing in a good quality screen protector and this skin does not offer any screen protection.

This skin gets my highest rating. 5 out of 5 Blackberries.

Pros: Perfect fit, slim design, tear resistant.
Cons: No sleeper magnet, no screen protection.

Last edited by lgreenberg : 04-21-2006 at 01:32 PM.