View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
webberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: att
Post Thanks: 0
Default Do I still need Text Messaging with Cingular Unlimited BB Plan?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm moving from a normal phone to a Blackberry and have an unlimted text messaging plan now that I use 99% only to recieve e-mail alerts from Yahoo-mail letting me know I have new mail (forwarded from gmail). Since Gmail does not offer direct text messages to alert me of new e-mails, I forward my Gmail to a Yahoo account and get the alerts via Yahoo. I don't forward gmail emails directly to the phone because the messages are too long and get split into annoying separate little messages.

If I switch to a Blackberry with the unlimited Blackberry data plan, will there be any need to have text messaging service also?
I assume the BB will give instant alerts when new mail comes into the Gmail account and there will no longer be any need to receive text messages for this purpose. Most months I send out zero outoing text messages and receive a few hundred incoming alerts of new mail. I send out maybe 10 or 20 outgoing text messages in a year with my current phone and would probably just use gmail to e-mail a message instead of SMS when I get the new Blackberry.
I assume the unlimited BB data plan also includes unlimited web browsing.

Last edited by webberry : 06-04-2006 at 01:15 PM.