View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
coreys

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Post Thanks: 0
Question Help! Newbie looking for hard answers

Please Login to Remove!

I'm looking into getting a BB 8700c when I get back to the states from Japan in a few months. I've read threads here regarding BBs until my eyes felt like they were going to start bleeding but I'm still not 100% on where things stand right now. I will be using it primarly for personal use. Last fall I was using a Sidekick II with T-mobile and other than flakey service It did everything I needed it to do. Mail and IM were rock solid, browsing was acceptable, and phone use was good enough. I'm moving back to an area not covered by T-Mobile so I am looking into a BB as a possible replacement

Please assist me in figuring out the following:

BIS: I keep getting the impression that having a BB on BIS is like having a castrated, retarded BB (posts keep coming back and saying "get BES and it will work"). Does the current iteration of BIS with Cingular work well?

IM: I think that the IM thing has been figured out on here no? What I'm unclear on is if I was to sign up today and get new service what steps will I have to take to get IM working with IM+ or Verichat? Are Mark Rejhon's directions for TCP/IP setup up to date (in the first post in that thread). Long story short, I don't want to have to fart around getting apps working. Again, refer back to my concerns about the solution to all problems apparently being "get BES."

Additionally, how stable are the apparent top three universal clients? (Verichat, Webmessenger, IM+)

Foreign Language: Specifically Japanese. I want/need the ability to read and input Japanese. I know that NTT offers their Namimail application which will soon support input on 8700's. Has anyone used it? If so, does it work well? What about support from RIM? I noticed that Japan is getting BB soon. Is it possible to just add on a language input method like in a desktop OS and switch between them easily (Chinese for example)?

Mail: I know that BB mail is supposedly bulletproof. However, I do remember seeing something on here about Cingular BIS not allowing you to select different outgoing addresses when sending mail (only one available). Is that still the case?

Long story short, I want a mobile for communication and it needs to just plain work the way it ought to all the time.

Thanks for you help!