View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Post Thanks: 0

I'll be at the APCO Canada conference in October and talking about wide area notifications in emergencies and radio interoperability.

Briefly, I'm the chair of a district-wide (9 county) pre-hospital/EMS group that determines projects that utilize HRSA grant funds to better prepare in the event of an emergency. One of the issues we all face as first responders is notification of personnel and radio interoperability once you get out of your area. Here in Dstrict 1 in Michigan we have implemented a product that does both notification of personnel and on the other side will patch in any type of communication device. I can patch UHF, VHF and 800 mhz radios to each other or to cell phones, home phones, nextel direct connect etc. The nice thing about the notification process is I will receive confirmation that someone received the message, plus I can have them respond back with additional information. For example, I could put out a message to all 400 or so people in the database about a disaster that has occured, and ask them to press 1 if they can respond in 15 minutes, 2 if they can respond in 30 minutes etc. and it will immediately pop back on my screen with their response.

I'll be discussing the notification side for emergencies, but there are a lot of other applications for the product. if you want more info send me a pm and I'll be happy to email you.