View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #58 (permalink)
Aqualung
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Post Thanks: 0
Question Do Games (suspend mode) Drain the Battery?

A couple of weeks ago I loaded up w/ games for my kids to play w/....and have noticed that my battery seems to drain a lot quicker -- NOTE: I'm NOT referring to when the games are being played, rather when I'm using the phone for real work -- like this AM. I got home yesterday and my kids had been playing some games on the car ride home. Battery was very low, so I plugged it overnight. I had switched over to the home screen to check the battery life, didn't 'close' any games. My BB also turns off at 11pm, and on again at 7am.

This am, got to work, battery shows 100%. Made 2 calls on it (my office has a signal repeater so I'm at 100% signal strength) and read a few emails, but basically it's been sitting in its case all AM.

Now, at 1pm EST, the battery is down 3 bars. So I went in and looked at the games -- some were in 'suspend' mode, and so I physically closed them thru their menus. Note that for the past 2 mos, the battery has barely moved a bar at the end of the day w/ similar usage at the office, just not all the games (being played)

So my question is do the games that go into "suspend" mode still suck up CPUs and thus, drain the battery? Or are they truly suspended and would not be impacting the battery life?

I'm going to test this tonite/tomorrow as I'm now charging the BB, and will charge overnight again, and then try to use it as minimally.

UPDATE:

Over the past few days I watched my BB carefully and am pleased to report that it's back to 'normal', i.e. at the end of the day the battery has only decreased one 'bar'. This was even with making a few more calls than before. So I'm inclined to believe that the games in suspend mode definately have a negative impact on battery life.

Just FYI the games are: KA-GLOM, Meteorcrusher, Circlepopper, RV, Raging Rivers, Rooster, & Bass Assassin. I believe my kids were mostly playing KA-GLOM and Circlepopper.

Last edited by Aqualung : 08-03-2006 at 09:29 AM.