View Single Post
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Post Thanks: 0

Your best bet if your going with an unlocked GSM BB is to check with the GSM carriers available to you eg Cingular, TMo and check out their roaming agreements, Based on that you can move forward. When purchasing do your homework and be certain the past user has deactivated their PIN/IMEI, the unit is indeed unlocked and there are no IT Policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsharrington
I am travelling abroad to Thailand this fall and I want to purchase a handheld to use for accessing my Gmail account, browse the web, and make and receive phone calls. I would like to use a Thailand based sim card to keep the cost down. (also, there is not a GSM provider in my hometown.. I am on Verizon)

I can live without the web if it means I will be saving on the cost of the device and the service.

I have not owned or used a blackberry device before. Can somebody offer me advice on where I should begin?

Through minimal research I determined that I need an unlocked gsm blackberry. I have found the 7290 to be relatively inexpensive and most seem to be unlocked. I am considering purchasing one, however, I don't want to get to Thailand and find out I went about this all wrong. Any suggestions?