View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpflynn
Went to 4 tmobile stores and everyone said their bottom line price was $300. Very dissapointing.
$300 was the best price I could get without switching providers. Of course, I think a lot of what is getting left out of this discussion if exactly what people mean by "T-Mobile store." There is one price you will get if you go to an actual official T-Mobile store owned by T-Mobile. They are, for the most part, going to stick to the party line. Things tend to be a little more flexible if you go to a store that is privately owned, but an officially licensed T-Mobile outlet. On the other hand, if you go to one of those slightly shady places that has a million phones, and sells everyone's service, and isn't an official dealer of any service, then it often turns into a matter of how hungry the salesman is for the commission on the service, and how good your haggling skills are.

I have also noticed that it varies with your geographic location. In some markets, T-Mobile is very aggressive about doing anything they can to keep you as a customer, and in other markets it would seem that they could care less if you jump ship. For example, here in LA, the official T-Mobile stores can't even handle upgrades. I went to three different stores, and they all told me that if I want to upgrade, then I would have to call the upgrade department, because they can only sell new accounts. Obviously in other markets, the policy is different.