View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
carl rifkind
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800C
Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T
Post Thanks: 0

Wirelessly posted (RIM BlackBerry 7290, 4.1OS: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yes, you can be charged by your provider while roaming internationally and your phone rings and no one answers the call. Call has to be routed int'l, then back to the states for voicemail. This reality totally sucks.

By the way, I've been working with switching between my cingular unlimited GPRS data services and a local number via new sim chip here in New Zealand- other than the hassle of switching sim chips when I want to change servicves, its waaaaaay more cost effective. Here, the carriers only incrementally charge for every second used after the first minute. Not like Cingular who charges by rounding up to the minute. The 'swapping' works since Vodafone NZ charges rediculously high for GPRS use but is cheap for voice so I'm getting the best of both but the drawback is of course is the inconvienience of switching chips.

Maybe there's a more simple solution solution out there? Thought I saw a couple posts here from folks who figured out a way to use a special modification that could utilize mutiple sim chips- but my BlackBerry™ 7290 stuggles as is.