View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliebsch

But it is an excellent point. I mean, the last two handhelds that were lost, were not reported to me until nearly 2 weeks after they had been lost...

sceeery
This is exactly why I wanted to push this policy - we have had quite a few devices stolen or lost, and most of the time, the person has already spent a few days looking for it, only to come to the conclusion that yep, they don't have it any longer.

Typically by now, I can't send a kill command as the battery may have died or the device is out of range at that time.

Then, a new device gets deployed to the user, and once the PIN is associated with their email address, the old device can't synchronize with our BES, which is great - but then again, there is still data on the device. Those are the ones that are the biggest risk for us right now.

I would say out of all devices I've sent a kill command to because of a loss/theft, I've probably had 2 which processed the command completely.

I would love to have a feature in the Management tool that put our stolen/lost PINs in "the parking lot" - so we can repeat our kill commands on a schedule but obviously that would eat into client licenses...or perhaps a paid service that the carrier can provide to send out repeated device kill commands for a window of time.

In any case, because of various people complaining, and others caving, we are going to modify our timeout to 30 minutes (which seems to be slightly longer than the average response here of 20 minutes).

We'll see if the complaining continues...

I most definitely appreciate all your responses. I'm gladd I'm not the only guy in the boat.

Rob