View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner
I love the 8700, but I dearly miss the keyboard of the 72xx series!!!
You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been working with my new 8700 nearly a month and I am very unhappy with the keyboard and the shape of the keys.

All of this is my fault because I heard so many good things about the 8700 that I ordered one from my carrier sight unseen. I will never do that again.

It's the only BB with keys that are vertically oriented and smaller than the keys on my 7130c. In addition the top surface of the keys is smaller than any other BB as they "Styled" the keyboard along with the overall unit to look newer. It's the only device I've seen where the keys are part of the styling cues. They taper on the inside edge which is why they are hard to use.

However in fairness, I handle a lot of email each day and I'm used to typing really quickly. For those users that handle less mail (I do 50-90 per day) the keyboard is probably just fine. If the 8700 had conventional style keys all would be fine for me. I really like everything else about the 8700 except the terrible keyboard.

I'm selling mine as I can type faster with only one thumb on my 7130c. Then when the 8800 comes out I am going to get one of those. Based on the pictures I have seen they have returned to normal keys that are designed for fast typing.