View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #41 (permalink)
drhink
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Post Thanks: 0
Default Being first w/ new devices not always good

Please Login to Remove!

The class action lawsuit by Treo 650 buyers is one example why being the first to offer a new device isn't always the best business strategy. Being in the software biz, I can tell you a lot of customers prefer to wait for the n.1 version since there's a perception that the n.0 customers hit most of the bugs. And VZW has been getting quicker to market as other posters have pointed out.

I travel frequently, and tried Sprint and ATT (pre-Cingular) before switching to VZW. VZW's coverage is far better than the other two, especially when you get away from large metro areas. Their EVDO coverage is awesome. They've always focused on the needs of business users over the general consumer market, meaning they know business customers lean towards reliability over low price. Take the Thinkpad for example: their are cheaper laptops available, but the durability keeps business buyers coming back to the good ole black Thinkpad. Most other laptops simply don't hold up as well to frequent TSA manhandling. Hopefully, Lenovo won't ruin the brand with lower quality; time will tell.

So, are all you people clammoring for the 8800 so ready to give up your thumbwheel? I'm not!