View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepi
Update, used:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

in the advanced modem properties, speed picked up quite a bit (enough to load web pages), however the speed is still something akin to 28.8-56k. Mixed bag I guess (using it right now!).

Also added wap.voicestream.com to the options/adv options/TCP/APN (no user/pass), that could have effected it as well, sadly, I did both prior to actually testing and getting it to actually load pages.
From word around town, meaning the entire U.S., my understanding is that your speed is dependent on how T-Mo servers, etc. are acting at the moment.

In other words, even though your Pearl may show "EDGE," your "modem" connection speed/rate/strength may vary.

Call T-Mo tech support and they can tell you how things are in your area. Also, they will walk you through on trying to figure out if there is a problem.

Bonus Tip: Call from a land line and have your Pearl modem up and running.

Bonus Tip: T-Mo knows and encourages users to try out the modem connection on the Pearl, so one should not be concerned about calling them.

Sidenote: T-Mo tech support has said that the Pearl "modem" speed is the same as the standalone PCMCIA card they sell notebook data connections. How cool is that.

Closing remarks: Call T-Mo instead of fooling with this on your own or dealing with us know-nothings.