Thread: Linux and RIM
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority
Post Thanks: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Obviously RIM is still marketing towards their core customers - businesses - and their new customers, consumers. Not to Mac users, and not to Linux guys. What percentage of desktops use Windows (calling it Windoze and Micro$oft is sooo old) compared to Linux? The stories of companies and governments moving to Linux are legendary. And very, very few.

I know people love Linux. And Betamax was better than VHS for years, right?

Linux has a future - but today it is still a niche and could remain that way for several years.

And once Linux meets some critical mass, the viruses and spyware will start. Open Source does not mean free OR secure. Remember there were no Mac viruses either....
Agreed with most of what you stated.... However, as I am sure you are aware, a virus will react far differently in Linux than it will in Windows (better??)

In Linux or Unix the virus will NOT be able to spread because it does not have access to the main portion of the PC... Hence the command line and the need to SU or SUDO, enter admin password to do anything worthwhile in Linux / Unix...

I do agree that as Linux / Unix gain popularity that the number of hazards will increase BUT the damage they can cause are minimal, at best..

Many, many foreign governments use Linux, and many major companies use a Linux or Unix based server because they are ROCK solid...