View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
THAT'S what I assumed couldn't happen with PIN messaging. T-Mobile or Cingular or whatever service provider would have a log, but not the company deploying the Blackberries. I didn't know there was even an internal log of PIN messages created in the Blackberry itself. I would have thought the only way for CIBC to get the logs was through subpoena of the carrier.
For accounting purposes, the carrier might have a log that messages were sent and received (ie, from and to), but I seriously doubt that they track the content of those messages, since it would be a violation of their privacy policy to do so.

When you have a Blackberry issued by a company, it's company property, and it's reasonable for that company to have a policy in place that allows them to control and monitor what you do with it (the same as the content of your traditional e-mail account). However, when you buy a device from a wireless carrier, there is no room for such a policy, and for them to track the content of PIN messages would be a violation of recent privacy laws (aside from the fact that from a logistical point of view, I'm sure they can't be bothered).

As for the Blackberry storing a log of PIN messages, I doubt that this was the case in the CIBC situation.... More likely the employees still had the actual PIN messages in their mailboxes (ie, they hadn't deleted/purged them), and when they connected their Blackberries, the desktop backup simply backed that data up along with everything else that was on their BBs....

Try this: Do a backup with your Blackberry desktop, and then open up the backup file with notepad or somesuch... You'll see your data, including your e-mail messages, contained in there... It's not necessarily in an easily human-readable format, but it's not encrypted either.
Offline   Reply With Quote