Thread: Google GPS
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Is And1 a data provider or a typo? Fair assessment and a possibility. Do you have insight as to why the Samsung phone as it. Pretty easy to add, and RIM is making a great push in this area. If Google pays for the data, why not? Only time will tell, and in any event I expect the competition to increase in this space.
Sorry, I misspelled it. The company is called AND (AND Automotive Navigation Data). I don't have backstage infos from samsung but I was working at a navigation research facility of Bosch/Blaupunkt some years ago. As you might know Blaupunkt is a world leading vendor of car navigation systems and it also one of the owners of TeleAtlas.

The navigation data providers tell their customers what conditions the usage of their data have to be covered. E.g. an excerpt of the Google Maps Terms of Use:

In addition, the Service may not be used: (a) for or with real time route guidance (including without limitation, turn-by-turn route guidance and other routing that is enabled through the use of a sensor), or (b) for, or in connection with, any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior.

(Google Maps API - Terms of Use)

Especially this part came from the data providers who want to protect their business and their customers. So if there is a free program on the market for everyone, who would by a navigation system?

BTW: All programs that passed by combining Google.Maps and a GPS receiver seem to violate that terms and their vendors should better be careful on what they are doing. It might become some kind of expensive some day.