View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Parker Rose
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Post Thanks: 0

I have been unexpectedly side-tracked by business, so I apologize for not responding to some inquiries. Regarding the custom programming of the Fn keys, go to Applications, Bluetooth Keyboard and when you click on that you should see a page with the version number, etc. If you scroll down, you will see the Fn keys listed. Click on that and you should be able to customize the keys.

Some of the keys on the keyboard do not function properly, but seem to be "trmped" by the regular BB functions. For example, without the keyboard connected, you would scroll down one screen at a time using the space bar. On the keyboard, you are supposed to be able to scroll down one screen at a time holding down the Fn key and then hitting the arrow-down key. But it doesn't work. That's the bad news. I discovered, however, that simply hitting the keyboard's spaceboard will do it, analogous to the BB itself.

I cannot get the keyboard to be automatically recognized by the BB when it is switched on. I must go to the Applications->Bluetooth Keyboard page (just like I described above) and the click the "activate" checkbox off and on. That does it.

The "Enter" key only functions under certain conditions. It seems to be pre-empted by the Fn+Arrow right combo. However, that combo works almost all the time.

Very quirky, but once you get the hang of it, worth it.

One additonal bizarre observation: I was out of the country for about a week, visiting a couple of islands in the Caribbean (yes, I dirty job, but someone had to do it). On two of them, the keyboard worked fine. On the last one, it connected, (the blue light came on, etc.) but it would not actually work. When I returned to the U.S., everything went back to "normal" and it could be used again. I think this may have had something to do with the Sim card needing to be rebooted, (taking it out and the put back in) but I am not sure.

That's it for now. Parker.