View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
gnrxx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: att
Post Thanks: 0

Nor should you want to.

I am constantly amazed how willing people are to install software on their bb's without a clue of what it might be doing.

For example, how many times do you see an offer for a "free trial of application x"? Dozens of people jump on it and install it.

Now what if that software were really reflecting your emails to a third party? What if they employ keystroke logging and forwarding? What if they are really just SPAM engines?

Even something as trivial as a spell checker is sending the contents of your messages to a third party server. You may trust Google, or netenza, but that's your choice. (and yes, I have removed the spell checker I got working yesterday as a test).

None of these issues have bitten this community yet. And I say "yet" with a hunch that it won't be "ever".

The information on our bb's is extremely valuable to us. Considering some of the people you see carrying them - from military to political to cxo's - I'm sure it is extremely valuable to someone else. It won't take a lot of skill to read it.

Just a thought from a security perspective.