Originally Posted by jadedhalo
Just wrote up a howto on my blog how I encode files. Looking for some feedback. Let me know how it works for you guys.
Thanks Starknight83 for the idea and command line.
ps. Sorry about the none linkage, need to have 10 or more posts.
Hello everyone. Thanks for this great forum. Anyways, i followed the instructions on the8thsign website and it worked great. I should mention that I'm using the bb pearl and imac with OS X v.10.4.8. I've never used Terminal before but with some trial and error, the command line worked for me. Some hints for noobies (like me) using the Automator way:
1. After downloading the Automator Workflow, save the file into
If this file path does not exist on your hard drive then you must create it. ie. Go to: MacHD
click: yourusername ex. James
After this, I didn't have a folder called "Workflows", so I created one.
From there, I created another folder called "Applications", and then yet another one called "Finder". This must be done in a sequence such that opening Workflows, leads to Applications, which then leads to Finder. I know, info overkill, but every little bit helps.
2. "Unzip" the Automator Workflow file into Finder. In this case, I just drag and dropped the Automator file into the Finder folder I had just created.
3. Download the Universal Build of mencoder (from the 8thsign link), and download it onto your desktop.
4. Open up Terminal (I used Spotlight to locate it), and type in the code.
ie. “cd Desktop”, enter, “sudo cp mencoder /usr/bin”. Hit enter again.
5. Enter your password (this is your mac admin password that you set when you got your mac ;)
6. Right click (ctrl+click) any movie file (seems like only .avi files work) and you should see the "Encode for Blackberry" under Automator.
7. Your new .avi-bb file will be created under the same folder you had your origianl avi file in.
8. Drag and drop .avi-bb files onto your blackberry movies folder and enjoy!
Oh, I should mention that the files created are much smaller. For example, my files were cut down from approx 260MB to 50MB. Fits much nicer on 1GB media card. Oh, and so far I have no problems with controls! Everything works great and movies, shows, etc. show up amazingly.
Now, can someone tell me how to compress images from IPhoto to download onto my pearl without losing too much image quality. It takes an awful long time to open up photos. Thanks.