View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
rubicon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Post Thanks: 0
Default User permission issue with Desktop Manager 4.0

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to install Desktop Manager 4.0 on a Windows XP Pro machine attached to a corporate network running Windows Server 2003. End users do NOT have Admin rights to their local computers.

The software requires Administrator permission to install and I did so via "Run As" while logged in as the normal user. DM installed OK.

When I run DM under the normal user account, it keeps prompting me for a valid Application Data path. Whether I select "Windows default" or specify a valid path, it keeps prompting me when the app opens. As well, it won't let me configure the PIM sync until a valid application data path is configured. Round and round I go.

DM retains whatever path I have typed in, however it doesn't seem to want to use it. I have confirmed the user has read/write access (Full Control) to the Application Data folder as well as the Program Files/Research in Motion folder. Still no luck.

Can someone suggest how I can get this running under a normal user account without requiring the user to have full Admin permission?

The user will be syncing to an Exchange account without BES. I would go the BES route, however this person needs a large mailbox (a few hundred MB) and it's very expensive to do so with Link2Exchange or Mailstreet.

Thanks for any and all comments.