View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Post Thanks: 0
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EricS
Missing Sync for BlackBerry is available only in a preview edition right now. We're working very hard to make sure that the 1.0 release is as reliable as possible. Most of the users we hear from think that our beta is more reliable than the competition's shipping version.

As for calendar events, we typically see a few kinds of problems:

1. Sync Services issues
Sync Services is very cool, but also a bit temperamental. All you have to do is look at the .Mac forums to see that some issues aren't unique to the Missing Sync. Apple is improving Sync Services fairly regularly now, including changes in last week's 10.4.9 update.

2. Data issues
We've found that certain other products actually mess up your iCal data and then the Missing Sync beta chokes on it. Specifically, detached calendar events are sometimes no longer associated with the parent event. This shouldn't happen within iCal or .Mac, but does happen with at least one third party product. We're hoping to work-around this issue as best as possible.

3. Time zone issues
I spent all weekend cleaning up time zone issues with the software. The BlackBerry does not store event-specific time zones unfortunately, so there can be issues when you modify a record on the device that originated in iCal.

4. It's still beta
Missing Sync for BlackBerry is still in beta testing as of 3/19/07. The final version will be better and more polished than the existing beta. Really. The whole point of the beta program is to find as many devices and real-world data sets and issues as possible so that 1.0 is reliable.

The next beta will hopefully be very close to the final 1.0 version. If you continue to have problems with it, post on the forum and I guarantee we will look into it.

Mark/Space Engineering
Since I downloaded the latest beta of Missing Sync for BlackBerry, I have had no issues at all. I am on an iBook G4 and it is working flawlessly for me with an 8703e from Sprint. Of course that doesn't mean that I will not encounter problems as I use it on a daily basis, but I am happy with it so far. However one of the things I would like them to add is the ability to use my 'Berry as a tethered modem so I can be surfin' on the net anywhere. But I will wait for further updates on the final release to add that functionality. Other than that, I really like this product from Mark/Space.
May the CrackBerry be with you