View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
gorillapond

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell
Post Thanks: 0
Default Using BIS or BES from a cheaper account

Please Login to Remove!

I've tried searching Google all night for this answer, and I can't find a definitive answer. Here's the scenario:

I had T-Mobile with my Blackberry Pearl, the 19.99 Blackberry Data plan. This was permanently tied to their BIS server, correct?

I had T-Mobile unlock my phone, and yesterday ported my number to Cincinnati Bell. I also called T-Mobile to remove my PIN from the BIS server. I have not registered my Blackberry with Cincinnati Bell's BIS server yet. I do have Cincinnati Bell's "BlackBerry Internet Service Unlimited" plan, however there is a higher end plan, but the sales people couldn't answer if I must have that to work on a BES or what the difference even was.

I would like to tie my Pearl into my 1-user BES Express server, is this possible in my situation? Is it the BIS service books that block me from using BES? Or are the service books in providers basic set the ones that stop me from using a BES? If I don't register with the providers BIS, is it possible to use a BES? Are there any service book leftovers I should look to delete?

Why do providers charge MORE to run less services? If I'm running my own BES and Exchange, they don't need to do anything but provide basic Blackberry services and GPRS! Seems odd to me. I work in IT and I'd like to play around with my own personal BES server, but it's not worth having an expensive 'enterprise' account.