View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0

I recently received a BlackBerry Smart Card Reader and was testing it for ease of use and functionality. It arrived with an older revision of firmware, so I updated the software/firmware to version 1.5. Once installed, I began testing it with a BlackBerry which had no issues connecting or passing information. Then I tried to connect it with the PC and that is where the trouble began. The first issue was that the BlackBerry SCR software will only work with the Microsoft bluetooth stack. That means that I had to uninstall the Widcomm (Broadcom) drivers and find one of the few XP SP2 supported BT USB dongles. Luckily I remembered that I had an old Microsoft BT mouse and it came with a dongle. Uninstalled Widcomm, plugged in the Microsoft BT dongle, and try again. This time, the SCR software started up and I clicked the Connect button under the General tab. The software then requests the Reader ID, Bluetooth Pairing Key, and Secure Pairing Key, followed bythe Connection Password. Once I enter the password and click OK, a Failed Connection Attempt dialog box appears with the error "Unable to connect to the specified BlackBerry Smart Card Reader". I have since tried multiple computers and supported BT dongles to no avail. If anyone has got this working I would appreciate the information on what worked for you.

Thanks,
toddz

BB SC Reader
Platform - 1.5.0.61
Apps - 4.2.0.58
Crypto - 3.8.4.28