View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knows Where the Search Button Is
Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo
Post Thanks: 0
Default Using USB cable from another device with BB 8700g

I WAS going to ask this question in a new topic but found this similar one so I figured I'd piggy-back if that's ok with you guys.

I have a new, week old, 8700g that came equipped with standard accessories out of the box (including the thick USB cable). I also happen to have a VZ Wireless XV6700 Pocket PC device that has a closely identical (but thinner) mini-USB to USB cable that can be used for data and recharging.

Since I'd like to leave one cable plugged in the pc at home AND a pc at work (same laptop, just using a dock), without having to buy another cable, do you think (from what you know) that the mini-USB/USB cable from the VZ Wireless XV6700 should be ok? I will be honest ...I have used it to charge and sync my 8700g without issues, but only tried a few times...I don't know what the long term implications are, if any. I don't know if these cables are made to regulate the actual current transferred to charge the device, especially a device OTHER than the one it came with.

If anyone knows anything of this or has prior experience of this nature, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.