View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by voi View Post
i'm not gonna start a new thread for this even though its kinda off topic ...but... i used the same process we've been talking about to convert and install opera mini ... and i am happily browsing the web right now ... with my att go phone plan so it has "medianet .. but no bbdata plan.... wh00t... i did come to a road block when i tried to install the simulsays visual voicemail app ... looks like thats not an option right now ... back to the lab.
A lot of BB-tailored apps have an advanced connections settings buried somewhere in their menu options; the typical default is 'Automatic'. In many cases you can change that to be specifically 'TCP' (or 'WAP'), 'BIS-B', 'BES', 'MDS', etc. In your case you want to dig in and make sure your settings say either 'TCP' or 'WAP' to use the MEdianet APN setup.

Apps that I know have these settings are JiveTalk, FreeRange, Viigo, Nexthaus, Viigo, and others. Some apps like Opera and Google Mail use only the WAP/TCP type of connection, and others can only use the BIS-B (I think Piconews is like this?). Generic java apps (like you get from getjar.com, games & stuff) will always use the WAP/TCP method as they aren't compiled against the RIM SDK (so they don't know about a BB, or BIS-B, MDS, etc.).