View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Post Thanks: 2

Having had the opportunity to test the Freedom Mini GPS for a period of time now, I can honestly concur with John Clark almost all of his opinions and observations.

I will add that IMHO, the BlackBerry 8300 works amazingly well with the Freedom Mini GPS because of the Curve's speakerphone which is exceptionslly loud and clear. That translates to a great navigational experience when using a voice-navigation service like TeleNav. I have made an equipment change recently from the BlackBerry to the Apple iPhone...but until Apple makes some very necessary changes in the output of their speakerphone in an upcoming software update...I will continue to be disappointed in that facet of the performance of the FM/iPhone pairing. But, using Google Maps on both the BlackBerry and the Apple products was amazing.

I too was amazed at the lack of an AC charger, but again...I have gotten used to the current trend towards USB charging and it is not an issue with me.

I have not had the problems with the unit "dropping" a signal, or having to restart the unit when using Google Maps. It performs beautifully from start to stop...

Overall, I will give the Freedom Mini GPS a 4.5-out-of-5-star rating. The only thing that keeps it from being a solid "5" is the lack of AC charger...which is simply more convenient and common if I am on the road and not close to a computer. But, I have found that a Motorola or BlackBerry charger that uses a mini-USB connector works great...so my problem is not a big one.

My vacation is coming up...and I can't wait to really put this unit through the paces!!!