Gotta index the software configuration. Task 1 - Index the software configuration
- On the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared, create a folder, and name it applications. Note: If you are unable to create the applications folder on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, install the BlackBerry® Desktop Software.
- Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\applications, create a folder for the third-party application, and name it myapplication.
- Copy the BlackBerry device installation files (the ALX and COD files) to the myapplication folder.
- To index the applications listed in this directory, open a command prompt and type C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
- Type Loader.exe /index and press Enter.
- Share the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\ folder on the network as read-only.
Note: If you want to add new software to the indexed software list, run the Loader.exe /index command again in order for the software to be listed in the software configuration screen.Task 2 - Create the software configuration
- Complete one of the following options:
- For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0 and earlier, open the BlackBerry Handheld Configuration Tool and click the Configurations tab.
- For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 and later, select the Software Configurations tab in BlackBerry Manager.
- Click Add New Configuration from the Common tasks menu in the bottom-right pane.
- Name the new configuration.
- In the Handheld Software Location or Device Software Location field, specify the shared Research In Motion® directory, as described in step 6 of Task 1. All indexed software is listed under the Application Name section.
Note: A local drive cannot be chosen for this step. Instead, use the \\servername\<sharename> format.
- Click Policies and create a new policy called Disallowed.
- In the Application Control Policy window, change the Disposition field to Disallowed and click OK.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 and create two more policies called Optional and Required. Change the Disposition field to Optional for the first policy, and Required for the second policy.
- Click OK.
- To the right of the Application Software header, click on the drop-down list and select the Disallowed policy. Note: This has disallowed all software from being installed on specified BlackBerry devices. Any restricted software that is currently installed on a BlackBerry device will be automatically removed by this software policy. To view all software that has been indexed, expand the Application Software header. At this point, it is possible to choose whether or not the listed software is required or optional.
- Click OK to close the Handheld Software Configuration or Device Software Configuration screen.
- In BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1, complete the following steps:
- Select the BlackBerry device user or the user group, and select Assign Software Configuration in the Tasks list under Device Management.
- On the Select a software configuration screen, select the software configuration and click OK.
Note: The software configuration will allow multiple BlackBerry device users to be selected when assigning the configuration. To select multiple BlackBerry device users, press the Ctrl key or Shift key.