View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
LarryH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Post Thanks: 0

• BES-Only Features: As my contract was almost up with AT&T I was eligible for a phone upgrade, so I dumped my WM 8125 and decided to go with a Curve. While I am very happy with it for the most part, there are some fairly basic features that are apparently not available unless you are connected to an Enterprise server. (BES) E.g., adding a signature to email messages. The Help file indicates that I can set up a signature for each email account by selecting that option in the Options section for each account. But my Curve has no such option. A closer reading of that Help topic shows that you need to connect to a BES to use signatures. (This is baffling to me; every other device I have used offers a signature for email messages -- even inexpensive, simple devices). Also, a number of other features are similarly reserved for those connected to BES. Email Rules, and too many others to list here.

How can I accomplish such things without a BES to connect with? Are there any BES's that individuals can connect to? (Like MS Exchange servers that individuals can use if they are not connected to an employer's server).

If not, are there any third party applications that somehow offer workarounds for these BES-only features?
Have you set up your BIS email account? Since your profile says you're with AT&T, you'd do that here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

That will create your Blackerry.net email address as well as permit you to grab email from other accounts. Within each of those accounts, you have the ability to set-up an individual signature. It's done online, not the phone. It's not a BES only feature.

If you had a BES account, you'd be able to set the signature within the Options on the phone.

I don't know if there's a "workaround" to BES but there are many places that will host an exchange server and BES. Some are talked about on these forums. I use and recommend The Message Center Exchange Hosting. It will run you around $10/mo for the exchange and about the same for the BES service. Therefore you'd be paying just under $20/mo for the whole deal. They charge no set-up or termination fees unlike many others. I believe they have a trial period, too.

Last edited by LarryH : 08-18-2007 at 05:18 PM.