Correct, it did not save any apps. Infact the process was slightly different than that described in the previous url.
1) Start BB Desktop, enter passwords on Desktop and BB.
2) Start Switch Devices
3) Click the Switch the BB Device icon
4) Click Next
5) At USB:pin dialog, click Next
6) Enter Password, click Next
7) "Activate my New Device during the Device Switching Process", "Select you email MS Outlook or IBM Lotus" Dialog is displayed
8) Select "Do not activate my device during the switching process"
9) Click Next
10) "No Actions Required" Dialog is displayed
I do not see at any point any apps being backed up,
Blackberry 8900 user in Shanghai