View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
cme4oil
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 0

I have been using GPS units for a long time and never had one take 20 minutes to aquire a fix. My take would be it's either a bug in the unit if it takes that long or your not in an open enough area (read around tall buildings, trees, etc). 20 minutes to me = send it back and get it replaced.

If you turn the unit off and go to a new location distant from where you were when you turned it off, I can see it taking a little longer to find the sats but not 20 minutes. Maybe an extra minute or so... It would be a useless device if you had to wait 20 minutes to drive your car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpend View Post
First; excellent review, just what I was looking for

Next; several sites list a feature of mmxc external antenna connection, have you found this, if so, can you post a picture

Finally; to answer a previous user's question: The reason a GPS can take a long time to aquire is that it stores a large amount of information about where the satellites should be. If this information is wrong for the area you are in or is out of date the GPS will download this before aquiring a location sometimes taking up to 20 minutes. Short answer: Be patient.

Thanks, GP

Last edited by cme4oil : 09-14-2007 at 08:15 AM.