View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neo95

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Post Thanks: 0
Default BES and SQL : one server or split up...

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all.
Have been reading a lot on this forum in regards to BES and SQL setups, but can't seem to find exactly what I need. Appreciate any feedback.

My setup :
BES 4.1.3 and SQL2000, running on one virtual server Win2K3 SP1 (on ESX 3.01) connected to a fast SAN.
200+ bes users
Exchange 2003 SP2 - physical server, fast (data store on the SAN)

Over the last week or so have been having major issues with email delivery to the handhelds. Checking the BES box, it's getting killed on memory and CPU, running at 100% CPU utilization all the time, sqlserver.exe and bes processes seem to be the ones fighting for resources. If the BES is restarted, takes about 1 hour for messages to resync and email flow then resumes to the handhelds. Not sure what changed, as this setup used to work just fine for the last 6 months or so. Anyhow, most people recommend running SQL component of the BES on another box. Since we are moving to ESX for pretty much everything, I am considering moving the SQL portion to a dedicated VM. Has anyone tried this setup before? What's the general consensus on running SQL in a virtual environment?

Sorry for the long post...... Any comment/feedback much appreciated.
Offline   Reply With Quote