View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dmitri Shvetsov

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default 8100 Pearl and MicroSDHC above 2 GB (4, 6, 8..)

Please Login to Remove!

I read the FAQ on this site and according to this FAQ my Pearl doesn't support MicroSDHC cards, but all Blackberry phones with the firmware above some number support these SDHC cards. Also according to multiple publications on the Internet and primarily to SanDisk web site MicroSDHC cards are supported by 8100.

SanDisk | Compatibility | Device List

So where is the truth? Just bought, received today and installed a brand new MicroSDHC 6 GB card from SanDisk. I got it from Amazon, but just because of the price, it's the same card. Here is the description.

SanDisk | Products | Mobile Products | microSD Cards

It works perfectly in the card reader via USB port giving me up to 9.2-9.5 MB/sec writing speed. The same card inserted into Pearl was not recognized. The phone recommended me to check the media in computer. OK, I formatted the card right inside the phone and got 1.6 GB size, not even 2 GB or 5.9 GB that should be there, but 1.6 GB only. The firmware is the latest that T-Mobile provided me just couple days ago. Here is the info.

Blackberry 8100 Wireless Handheld (EDGE) v.4.2.1.107 (Platform 2.3.0.83)
Cryptographic Kernel v.3.8.4.34
MicroEdition Configuration CLOC-1.1
MicroEdition Profile: MIDP-2.0
MicroEdition JTWI Version: 1.0
MicroEdition Media Version: 1.1
MicroEdition PIM Version: 1.0
MicroEdition File Version: 1.0

I wrote the question to [email address] and got a worthless answer like call your provider. But I was said when I was buing this phone that it SUPPORTS MicroSDHC cards. So the firmware is still not ready or it doesn't support as was promised?

Although I heard that there is a later version and maybe T-Mobile goes behind the schedule and I can grab the latest firmware from somewhere else if it's not critical for the provider and will not affect my phone connection or something else.

Any good advice?

Also, why all cards inserted into the phone work pretty slowly? I was able to get 560-570 kb/sec writing speed comparing to over 9 MB/sec when the same card works with the card reader. What's that, firmware again, USB1.1 which is probably used in the phone, some other reasons?
Offline   Reply With Quote