I've tried that but I get a "no connected devices" dialougue box, which is very strange as BB Desktop manager recognises the device it picks up the Pin number and it syncs with outlook but strangely it looks like the server isn't picking up on this. I made sure Window firewall is disabled both on the server and the client machine.. Interstingly when I try an enterprise activation wirelessly then the BB does get the rim email, it's just never picked up, but that makes sense if the server can't even see the device.
Another update I connected this to the BES through the USB, happily the BB is seen here and it pikcs up the PIN number but now it looks my world of pain is getting worse as I get a:
"An error occurred while assigning the device to the user"
"The user is not yet known to the Blackberry agent, it can take minutes for a newly added user to be fully initialised by the server before they can be provisioned (16)