View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Post Thanks: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrossno View Post
I was nosing around on Garmin's site the other day, and am currently using the Mapquest Navigator product. From what I can put together, Garmin's solution loads all the maps on a micro-sd card that you stick in your Blackberry (I have an 8320, so that's my reference). Basic navigation then occurs locally, since the maps are on the phone. Where the server and thus the data plan comes in is where they have all the bells and whistles, like gas prices, traffic info, etc. That's where you would need the data plan to connect to Garmin's services/servers where they send updates for all the other information.

While all that's nice, it's not worth anything if you happen to be in an area where you don't have access to the network, or data access. Having the maps local on the phone and being able to do basic navigation would be the way to go, if what I could read from between the lines is true...

It would be nice to have this confirmed by someone at Garmin though. Oh, BTW.. I believe that their XT product isn't ready for the 8320 yet either. I think that's the solution I was hinting at above.

John
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way. If you prove otherwise I'd be happy to be wrong.
Offline   Reply With Quote