View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
nem0nic

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default Yet another PDF thread... are there no good readers?

Please Login to Remove!

I've been using Beamberry to view PDFs and DOCs for a few months, but never liked it much. Free was good, so I used it. Now that BB isn't free anymore, I need a program that can view these files. I would LIKE a program that will allow me to view files on my SD card as well.

I looked for software and found 2 apps that seemed to be highly recommended - MasterDoc and DocHawk. The Dynoplex app would read off the SD, so I started with it. Yes, I made sure to set permissions the way outlined in the online guide.

Fail. I dragged a couple word docs and pdfs from my email into a directory on the SD card and tried opening them. The ViewAll app alternated between telling me that they would need to be converted before I could view them, or that they couldn't be opened at all. I uninstalled and did an OTA install, but got the same results. I called their 24x7 support line (rather they called me back via their web form) and waited over 30 minutes before deciding that Dynoplex didn't need my money (I was "first in line" the entire time on hold).

My experience with DocHawk was a little better but not satisfactory. The Terratial website was broken when I tried to visit, not rendering properly in either the BB browser OR Firefox. I was able to finally find the OTA "link" and install the software. It would open documents from my email but not off the SD card. Another failure.

So I ask, what is a decent document viewer that ISN'T made by Dynoplex or Terratial that will allow me to open files stored on my SD card? Does such a beast exist? Why is it so hard to find such an app for my shiny 8830 when the Blackberry is deployed in so many businesses?
Offline   Reply With Quote