View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
johnny_boy_uk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9380
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
It won't matter if your database was on MSDE 7 either.
Thanks for clearing that one up for me.

Quote:
To install MSDE 2000A easily follow these steps:

One thing to keep in mind if/when you move to Exchange 2003 you will have to do some extra things for your BES function as it should:
I'm OK on the Exchange environment differrences thanks, just haven't worked with moving the database before.

Quote:
Hope this clarifies things for you a little more.
It does, thanks very much!

I've now been able to make a backup of the current database using OSQL:

C:\OSQL -E

1> backup database BESMgmt to disk = "E:\BESMgmt.bak"
2> go

so I'm very pleased about that!

NOW ANOTHER QUESTION! (sorry!)

I now have a further query to do cutting over between BES versions to new servers as I also need to get my BESAdmin mailbox on to Exchange 2003 SP2 but I'm not sure precisely when to do that.

As Exchange 5.5 Administrator (used in the current BES environment) isn't supported on Windows 2003 Server, my upgrade plan is to:

1. Use a Windows 2000 Server for the BES 3.6 cut over as in intermediate step.

2. Upgrade the Windows 2000 Server BES 3.6 to BES 4.0

3. Cut over to BES 4.0 running on the new Windows 2003 Server.

When's the best point to move BESAdmin to Exchange 2003? Or is there a critical point where that has to be done?

Do I have to migrate the intermediate Windows 2000 BES 4.0 server to Exchange 2003, then cut over to the same environment on the Windows 2003 Server?

Or is a cut over on BES 4.x less fussy about the Exchange environment being the same on both servers, allowing me move the BESAdmin mailbox to Exchange 2003 then cut over from the Windows 2000 BES 4.0 server to the Windows 2003 BES 4.0 server (with Exchange 2003 Sytem Manager installed there already).

The official cut over docs for BES 4.x (KB10278) don't mention the Exchange environment having to be the same on both servers, unlike the BES 3.6 docs, leading me to hope it's less fussy!

Many thanks in advance once again!
Offline   Reply With Quote