View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
johnny_boy_uk
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 9380
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Posts: 26
Post Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Progress update 1

A couple of hours ago I finished a successful cut-over to an intermediate BES 3.6.4 on Windows 2000 Server after a couple of hours setting up the prerequisites/recreating the current environment/making notes of current settings and info and following database backup/restore, cut-over and install docs closely.

It all went extremely well, especially when half way through the nicely detailed KB03112 doc for moving the database to a new SQL Server I realised that I'd been barking up the wrong tree in using OSQL to making a backup of my existing database. All I needed to do was detach on the new server, copy the BESMgmt.mdf and .ldf files from the old server to the new and attach them there. I'm familiar with this with other databases in SQL Enterprise Manager, but until starting this migration hadn't used OSQL before(!), I'm not a db admin. At least now I know how I can create a backup file of the database that our backup systems can backup over night.

In brief to get to this stage I did the following:

A) Got the intermediate Windows 2000 Server up to the required prerequisite level:

1. java2re 1.4.1_02
2. Exchange 5.5 Administrator patched up to SP4 followed by a hotfix to get the cdo.dll up to the right version
3. Gave the domain user BESAdmin local administrator rights on the server
4. Installed MSDE2000A
5. Turned on TCP/IP and Named Pipes using svrnetcn

B) Migrated the current BES database to the intermediate BES server (referring to Blackberry.com doc KB03112)

1. Created a new 3.6 database on the intermediate BES using 'CreateDB.exe BESMgmt.cfg' (from the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade CD).
2. Detached the BESMgmt database on the intermediate BES using OSQL and moved BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmt.ldf to another folder
3. Stopped the MSSQL Server service on the old BES
4. Copied BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmtlog.ldf from the old BES to the intermediate BES.
5. Attached the copied .mdf and .ldf files back to the BESMgmt database on the intermediate BES using OSQL (specifying their exact filenames).

C) Did a 'Typical' install of BES3.6.4 supplying all the required info to the Wizard, which was straightforward apart from when it came to choose whether to Create BES Management Database or Upgrade BES Management Database. I chose Upgrade which reported that it had failed, however as everything appears to have worked ok (nothing bad in the BES log files) so I assume it thought it had failed because the database was already in BES3.6 format.

Email and Calendar wireless data started flowing to devices again through the new intermediate BES3.6.4 server as soon as it was restarted following installing the BES software.

In fact I knew it was alive again before I'd reconnected to the server (working remotely) as my BB was buzzing away receiving queued mail so that was a nice way to find out!

So, I can sleep easy tonight. Tomorrow I'll upgrade the intermediate BES3.6.4 to BES4.0, migrate the BESAdmin mailbox to Exchange 2003 then cut-over to another new server running Windows 2003 Server SP2. Can't wait! lol

Last edited by johnny_boy_uk : 01-26-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote