View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro
Post Thanks: 0

Yeah, I never mentioned "free" either. I am a self-employed professional, people try to sabotage the value of my work all the time and that's not fun. I think developers should be paid for their work.

But Beamberry and eOffice are too expensive. Maybe not expensive if you really need all they can offer, but Beamberry is superfluous to me, the native built-in viewer is enough to me, and I really don't see myself editing MS Office documents in this tiny device. The screen and the keyboard just don't cut it. The Palm Foleo would really come in handy now.

But I digress. Plain text files are different from Office files in that they are usually small, we just need them to take down notes and things like that. I won't be writing a lot into them, but I certainly might be reading a lot from them. And that is a very easy format to handle. Geez, I wonder if there is any easier format at all. The Blackberry can handle Word, Excel, music and video, for crying out loud, and can't handle txt? That's just bizarre.

I use txt files on my desktop all the time. I handle a lot of Office documents from customers, but my personal files are all kept in txt. Why wouldn't I? They're small, light and ultra compatible. The Blackberry must be the only computer/system in the world that can't handle them out of the box.

OK, I've made my point. Thanks for the attention and everything.
Offline   Reply With Quote