View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
ChrisMofNS

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default New Pearl; trackball finnicky?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first BlackBerry, the 8130, on the Verizon network. I ordered the phone online in order to take advantage of an online discount and received it yesterday.

I noticed immediately that the trackball had a problem scrolling. It was not very responsive going up (it would work, but not nearly as well as going down or side-to-side). I changed the sensitivity for both directions, but it still didn't get much better. Today, I went to the Verizon store to get a replacement phone and was sure to check it out in the store before I left. The first one had the same problem as the one sent to me (verified by the people at the customer service desk) and the second seemed to be a little better. However, it was NOT as good as the display model they had. That one was perfectly responsive to the up and down motion. I decided to take the second one to see if I simply need to "break in" the trackball. Upon taking it home, it seems to be working ok. I changed the sensitivity to 90/90, and it seemed to do quite well. (I've since moved it to 80/80.) I'll make a proper assessment in the next few days.

My question is: Is this a common problem? Or does the trackball actually have to be broken in? The display model worked as well as I'd like my own to work; I imagine many people have used that one and that it has been broken in, if that's how this whole thing works. Maybe it was the sensitivity setting--I did not check the display model's sensitivity. But, I've used other people's Pearl's before, and have not noticed a problem such as this. Any ideas?
Offline   Reply With Quote