View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default Warranty Question

Please Login to Remove!

I have a question regarding warranty. I purchased a Blackberry 8320 from a T-Mobile store in October of 2007 - paid full price, no contract extension. In Novemeber I left T-Mobile because I was not under contract, and signed up on AT&T. Recently I found some problems with my USB connector and wanted to get things fixed under warranty. The only documentation I have regarding the warranty is from T-Mobile. I called RIM and they said they do not honor the year warranty unless you purchased directly from them. They said I should contact my service provider. I tried to explain the situation to them (i.e. T-Mobile won't do it because I am not a current customer, and AT&T does not offer that model) and they basically said SOL.

So can someone clarify the warranty situation regarding Blackberry devices. If you leave your service provider, does that in fact leave you without any type of warranty?

UPDATE (2/16/08): RIM contacted me on Friday; they said that their agreement with T-Mobile for the sale of the Blackberry 8320 (Curve) states that T-Mobile is solely responsible for the one year warranty. RIM has no legal obligation to provide any type of warranty coverage for the 8320 if it was purchased from T-Mobile. Regardless, RIM has offered to take of the situation for me. HOWEVER, T-Mobile has done nothing but *LIE* to me and their warranty documentation contains no clause for voiding warranty coverage if you cancel service. Therefore, I am now in the process of filing a claim in Arizona Superior Court against them for failing to honor the stated warranty. I plan to serve Robert Dotson, the CEO of T-Mobile USA with the claim. Then I will see what T-Mobile has to say about their warranty...

Last edited by onyx00 : 02-16-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Update to findings
Offline   Reply With Quote