View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
crossbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2525A4A3
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil81uk View Post
Last time I checked, Google did not support any Address Book synchronisation. I will check again tonight.

The solution for BIS users to sync seems to be SyncML. This is a standard for synchronising mobile phones with an internet database. The database can then sync with Outlook, Outlook Express, even Thunderbird. It depends on what the database is capable of.

SyncML is installed on most mobile phones, but not BlackBerry. BlackBerry users need to download a third party application. There are two available - iPhone Sync | BlackBerry Sync | Mobile Sync | Contacts Sync | Outlook Sync software at Nexthaus and Funambol: Open Source: Community Projects. The latter is free, but it cannot connect via BIS, and hence does not fall under some unlimited data plans.

Users will also need an online database. The two most popular ones are scheduleworld.com and zyb.com. scheduleworld.com is a small enterprise (one man band maybe) but it allows syncing with Outlook and even Google Calendar. Zyb only syncs between the phone and it's own online database (though you can sync multiple phones to it).

I have not tried the scheduleworld sync with Outlook as I don't use it.

A lot of SyncML applications don't support blackberry though which is a shame.
Offline   Reply With Quote