View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
2Curious
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMo USA
Post Thanks: 0

Ok. I downloaded app to try it. Said 30-day money back guarantee, so what the heck. I was curious.

I'm not an expert in compression utilities... by a long shot.

I tried 2 attempts, using 2 different compression apps.
The file I used was a small 235Kb *.wav file.
- Winzip xxx8211; worked fine. Open attachment option in email menu, retrieve file.
- PkZip for Windows - same result, worked fine.

Also thought maybe, just maybe, the Ziplorer app would allow us to download *.zip files via the bb_browser. Butxxx8230;no go xxx8211; results in normal error xxx8220;unsupported media type: application/zipxxx8221;.

So, emailing zip files works fine.
The gui/menus for the app is ok, but a little clunky.
By default it makes xxx8220;homexxx8221; be the device memory, instead of the SD Card. There are no settings options to change/save xxx8220;homexxx8221; or start directory preferences. Itxxx8217;s too easy to store things on the small device memory by mistake.
Drilling down into subdirectories is by menu button, then select xxx8220;enter dirxxx8221;, 2 stepsxxx8230;arghg.
But, exiting back to higher directory is done easily by esc key.

Then when I try to zip an existing file on my SD card to save space, it allows me to name the *.zip, and choose whether I want to use kzip or gzip, but then defaults the location to store the new file at ///store/home/user (which is on my device memory).
Once zip is in progress, there seems to be no way to cancel itxxx8230; so if I choose a large file, and decided against itxxx8230;Ixxx8217;m stuck.

Ixxx8217;ll play with it a bit more, before I ask for the money-back guarantee.
If anyone wants me to test anything else, let me know.