View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Post Thanks: 15

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2
I am still pretty new to the BB and even newer to the gps (verizon's is not enabled without THEIR service). So I got a puck. But from what I read, without data vervice, in the boonies, there will be NO maps since they cannot be downloaded. That is unfortunate. My garmin 76cs will be with me for a longer while.

I have to guess that these companies have learned that like razors, the money is in the replaceable blades or in this case MAPS. I still recall have a version of Norton's anti-virus that updated for free. No subscriptions needed. That has long since gone. So, these folks have followed that lead.
Blackberry maps came out a relatively short while ago, google maps after that, and gps on google maps still later. I don't know how long the subscription services have been available. But downloaded maps on the go makes sense for a mobile device with relatively limited memory, which is what I and most blackberry users had then and still have. There is no scam.