View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
oturn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default Use GPS on Verizon Pearl 8130 with other applications!

Please Login to Remove!

Unfortunately, this method still requires a subscription to VZ Navigator...

It's common knowledge that Verizon locks the Pearl's GPS for use with only VZ Navigator. However, I recently discovered that it's possible to use a few other GPS enabled applications on the Pearl!

After a couple of months reading various forums, I only recently saw this mentioned, so I thought I'd share the love...in case there are others that don't know.

Simply start VZ Navigator, choose "Maps", then choose the "Follow Me Map". Next, leave VZ Navigator running and switch back to the Pearl's home screen by using Alt Escape on the keypad. At this point you can run other GPS enabled applications, and they will (might) see and use the GPS!

I've only tried this with a few applications. It doesn't seem to work with BlackBerry Maps, but it definitely works with Microsoft Live Search, and Nav4All. I'll be trying a few others as time permits.

Interesting that VZ Navigator is truly the "key" that unlocks the GPS. Maybe this will bring someone a step closer to coding a permanent GPS unlock for the Pearl...
Offline   Reply With Quote