View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Antimatter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Post Thanks: 0
Default Hello, I'm new here and have some questions.

Please Login to Remove!

I used an t-mobile sidekick, and now I'm looking into a blackberry 7290, which i believe is the "newest" model with a full qwerty keyboard?

Anyway I'm currently on the unlimited data plan at t-mobile, for $29 a month or so, and I'm wondering if the sidekick data plan would work with a blackberry or if i would have to get another plan?

The reason why, is i need unlimited data and e-mail support, along with at least say 50-100+ SMS messaging for those times when i need to text someone who has an cell phone.

But one thing that had me concerned was that the t-mobile AIM client used SMS? which would really kill me price wise because I'm a very poor college student and can't afford much more than a blackberry + some data plan in the 20-30 dollars range.

But I have been reading the FAQ and stuff on these forums and they have me pretty excited over the blackberry.

Anyway here's some questions:

1) What sort of cheap data plan can i have with t-mobile or any other service? I need one that has decent to good coverage of the north east because that's where i attend college and so forth, currently the t-mobile service covers all the area that i really ever need to use it, so its fine for me.

2) Is the sidekick data plan competatable, or is there any data plan that better fits the blackberry from t-mobile, or other services? I would really prefer one with NO form of limit on "Internet connections" - for IM, and e-mails among others.

2) How durable is the blackberry as compared to the sidekick, I've had horrible luck with sidekick breaking all the time.

3) Any good SSH client so i can ssh into the university unix machines to do projects and so forth?

4) Is there any good (free) support for IM and other stuff, i would like to someday be able to setup an little server in my room and connect to it to do IRC, etc....

Thank you!