View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
kirkgrau
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Post Thanks: 0
Default UMA with Range Expander

Please Login to Remove!

OK, updated the firmware on my Wireless Access Point and have UMA working pretty well in my office where the Access Point is located. To serve my kids wireless laptops a few years ago I added a Range Extender in our house which is separated from the office (and the Access Point) by about 50 feet. Works great for the computers, but now that I have added a WIFI phone I would like to be able to use the WIFI in the house as well. It is not working, my 8120 loses UMA about half way to the house. This Range Extender is pretty old (Linksys now makes a version 3, mine is version 1), would a newer extender help or am I just out of luck. I would also like to convert my wife's phone to WIFI if I can get it working in the house. Can UMA be made to work in this situation? Are there any other techniques that I should look at? It probably is not practical to string a wire between the building although I could add another access point if I did. Also, these Access Points can work as repeaters, would that provide a better solution than the range extender?

TIA,

Kirk
Offline   Reply With Quote