View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
trashjunkid

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0
Default 8830, SIM Cards, & Numbers

Please Login to Remove!

I have looked for the answer to the following elsewhere on this site and can't find it.

I recently went through Verizon and got my phone unlocked so I could use a SIM card from a different provider while overseas. While I was at it, I had them activate the default Vodaphone SIM (I plan on upgrading to the international dataplan while overseas).

Now, here's my question:
If I use a different SIM card, will my phone number change?

As I was going through the unlock & activation process, I asked the Verizon tech for some info. She stated, pretty directly, that in the case of the 8830 the phone number is tied to the phone, so even if I used a SIM card from, say, an Italian service provider, I could still be reached at my original phone number.

This confuses me a bit.

My understanding was that it worked the other way around- that is if I put my sim card in a different gsm unlocked phone, well the phone's number would be effectively changed to match the sim's number. And if my friend popped in their sim in the same phone, again it would be the friend's number that the phone would reflect.

So which is it? Is it the phone that houses the number? The sim card? Sometimes one, sometimes the other?

My intention is to get a sim card from a country-specific provider and use hat card with its lower rates for voice.

So... when I use the default vodaphone, my number will be the same as the number I use when at home- is that right?

And when I pop in that other sim card, the one from another service provider, what number will the phone answer to?

Finally, if anyone can lay out how sim card's work, practically speaking, please do so- or point me to a site that explains it simply, if you know of one.

Thanks in advance,

Trashjunkid
Offline   Reply With Quote