View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ombus

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashjunkid View Post
If I use a different SIM card, will my phone number change?
Yes. Your phone number will be the one of your new SIM card.

Quote:
As I was going through the unlock & activation process, I asked the Verizon tech for some info. She stated, pretty directly, that in the case of the 8830 the phone number is tied to the phone, so even if I used a SIM card from, say, an Italian service provider, I could still be reached at my original phone number.
While you're oversea, your phone would be roaming on the local provider's network. If it's a GSM network, then which ever SIM card you're using will take affect. If your US SIM card is in the phone, people calling your US number will ring you. Otherwise they properly can't find you. If it's a CDMA network, then it doesn't matter which SIM card is inside. You will be charged roaming for all calls.

Quote:
So which is it? Is it the phone that houses the number? The sim card? Sometimes one, sometimes the other?
SIM card house the number for GSM network. The phone itself house the number for CDMA network. Since the 8830 can use both networks, it depends which network is active at the time.

Quote:
So... when I use the default vodaphone, my number will be the same as the number I use when at home- is that right?
Yes.

Quote:
And when I pop in that other sim card, the one from another service provider, what number will the phone answer to?
Under GSM, the sim card's #. Under CDMA, your US #.

Quote:
Finally, if anyone can lay out how sim card's work, practically speaking, please do so- or point me to a site that explains it simply, if you know of one.
GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia