View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Berrymedic20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Thanks: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
I get push email to my BlackBerry from Gmail. Often times I get mail on my BB before is shows up in Outlook. I didn't set it up to use IMAP, I went through the BIS website, entered my address and password and it did the rest.

I have 2 Gmail accounts and 2 Google Apps Gmail accounts on my BB and they all work the same exact way; 90 times out of 100 the mail is on my BB before Outlook via IMAP. Idunno.

Gmail IMAP to Outlook or Thunderbird is nearly instantaneous. My BB is just that much faster.
I'm not debating that the **POP** BIS setup for gmail works instantaneously. This is what I've been using, and it does work. It lacks the following, however: messages read on the BB still show as new on the server; deletions on the server don't delete on the BB. That means that if I'm checking my mail online, I have to go through and mark everything read. Things I delete online I have to back onto the BB and delete manually. This is just annoying... an inconvenience. The system works for its essential purpose, but is not as useful as it easily could be.

With IMAP (using IDLE), the emails are not only pushed instantaneously, but blackberry and webmail are sync'd perfectly, all the time. Trust me, when you've had this, you don't want to take a step back to POP. My treo did this flawlessly, and I can't see why Blackberry wouldn't either.
Offline   Reply With Quote